Education. Research. Investment. Those three words describe the American Bus Association’s Foundation. While three words sum up what the Foundation does, they don’t describe the effect the Foundation has had on the industry over the past 20 years.
Investing in our Future
Did you know that in the past 20 years, the ABA Foundation has been committed to investing in the future of our industry through its scholarship programs? Since its inception in 1995, the ABA Foundation scholarship program has awarded nearly $800,000 in financial support to more than 300 scholars in the past 20 years of outreach. The program recognizes deserving students who demonstrate scholastic ability, character, diversity, and the potential to be future leaders in transportation, travel, and tourism.
There are a number of different opportunities to apply for scholarship awards. The Foundation offers:
• The ABA Member and Bus & Tour Operator scholarships that are open to all full-time employees and their dependent children from ABA member companies and ABA bus and tour members in good standing.
• The Academic Merit Scholarship is open to ABA members and non-members so long as the applicant has declared a major or course of study relevant to the transportation, travel and tourism industry.
• The Diversity Scholarship focuses on broadening the number of traditionally underrepresented groups in the management and operation ranks of the transportation, travel, and tourism industry.
• The Driving the Future Award is open to all full-time employees and their dependents of ABA members and strategic partners of the ABA Foundation.
• The Peter L. Picknelly Honorary Scholarship is open to ABA Members. This fund was established to recognize the contribution of bus drivers, mechanics and maintenance personnel to the motorcoach industry. Eligible applicants are bus drivers or maintenance personnel, or their children, of ABA operator members.
• The Ron Cornell Scholarship was established to recognize the contribution of American Bus Association companies’ employees and bus operators.
• The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship focuses on broadening the number of traditionally underrepresented groups in the management and operation ranks of the transportation, travel and tourism industry.
Showcasing the Strength of the Industry
In addition to managing scholarships to the ABA Foundation invests in research about the motorcoach, travel and tourism industry. The Foundation has been instrumental in showcasing the size and scope and economic impact of the industry. Did you know that the industry generates more than 1.4 million jobs in communities around the country, paying more than $62 billion in wages and benefits? Thanks to the Foundation's research, everyone knows the value and impact of the industry.
The Foundation has enabled industry leaders and the ABA to do a number of studies on the environmental impact of the industry; connectivity; motorcoach sales; industry trends and so much more.
While the Foundation does a great amount to support the industry and it continued success, it does rely on the generous support from ABA members and the industry community. Consider showing your support to the ABA Foundation by donating directly to the Foundation or participating in the fundraising events the Foundation holds annually. For more information about the ABA Foundation, visit http://www.buses.org/aba-foundation or contact Zoe Deloglos at email@example.com.