By Joyce Weiss
Do you want to increase morale in your workplace? Is it time to break up some of the sameness of the week? The office doesn’t have to be dull! Sprinkle in some new events and see how the anticipation—and execution—pays off in dividends.
Employee engagement helps keep star employees from leaving the workplace. The following ideas will increase morale by putting smiles on your employees’ faces:
- Have theme days (e.g., Elvis, clashing outfits, football jerseys, etc.).
- Hold a talent contest.
- Design a bulletin board with employee baby pictures.
- Call for a spontaneous, “mandatory” walk outside.
- Allow a dress-down day.
- Give standing ovations to team members.
- Surprise a team member at the airport.
- Play board games or watch a movie during an extended Friday afternoon lunch hour.
Let’s Get Real
I can just hear some of you thinking, “This will never work at my company.” But I ask, “Why not?”
Start with small steps, such as incorporating fun and laughter into your workplace.
Joyce Weiss, M.A., CSP, is a corporate communication strategist and coach. For the past 30 years, she has perfected patented strategies that have addressed peer bullying, standing out to upper management, career advancement, and resolving conflict. Joyce has been a frequent speaker at ABA’s Annual Meeting & Marketplace. Her online coaching program is entitled Communication Skills at Work. You can reach her at Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com.