Driving Force Tip: Don’t Let the ELDT Requirements Slow Down Your Hiring Process … Know the Facts

Who is required to take Entry-Level Driving Training?

A driver who holds a CLP that was issued before Feb. 7, 2022, but the CLP expires before the driver applies for his or her CDL


A driver who obtains a CLP on or after Feb. 7, 2022.

ELDT training will be required to do any of the following:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time.
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL.
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

ABA has partnered with Prevost to provide driver training. For more information on the training and to take the courses, click here

FMCSA has created a fact sheet for more information.

About the American Bus Association

The American Bus Association (ABA) is the trade organization of the intercity bus industry, with more than 1,000 motorcoach and tour company members in the United States and Canada. Its members operate charter, tour, regular route, airport express, special operations and contract services. Another 2,800 members are travel and tourism organizations and suppliers of bus products and services who work in partnership with the North American motorcoach industry.


Melanie Hinton, Vice President, Communications & Marketing, ABA
Office: (202) 218-7220
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)