American Bus Association Honors Chairman Tom JeBran for Six Years of Service (January 26, 2015)
The Board of Directors and membership of the American Bus Association recognized outgoing Board of Directors Chairman Tom JeBran at ABA's Marketplace/Board of Directors meeting in St. Louis, January 10th-13th. Mr. JeBran is the President of the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania based Trans-Bridge Lines Motorcoach Company. He has served ABA for six years; three as Chairman and three as Vice-Chairman. While his term as Chairman has expired, Mr. JeBran was elected to a new three-year term on the Board of Directors. He will continue to serve on the Executive Committee as the Past-Chairman and Chairman of the Governance Committee.
Under Mr. JeBran's leadership, ABA and the motorcoach industry made significant gains in Congress and before federal agencies concerning a variety of regulatory issues and ABA continues to grow.
- ABA was heavily engaged in the federal rule that put seatbelts on new motorcoaches manufactured beginning in 2016, but without retrofitting older motorcoaches. Since 2008, most newly built motorcoaches have had seatbelts installed.
- ABA led a coalition of other transportation industry associations to have legislation passed by Congress and signed by President Obama. The law prevented the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration from enacting rules, beyond the agency's usual scope, concerning sleep apnea.
- ABA in 2014 delayed FMCSA action to raise motorcoach insurance minimums.
- ABA worked with lawmakers to preserve the motorcoach industry's partial fuel tax exemption.
- ABA continues to see year-to-year membership growth, and ABA members operates two-thirds of all motorcoaches on America's highways and roads.
- ABA is also the only motorcoach association that requires its members to obtain and keep the highest safety rating, Satisfactory, from FMCSA, as a requirement to stay in the association.
- ABA's 2014 Marketplace in Nashville was a record setting event, as companies and individuals that attended booked nearly $130 million dollars in annual business.
"Tom JeBran has been a great partner to work with as ABA's Chairman for three years. We have spent hundreds of hours together, and his leadership and attention to detail always is a huge asset to the industry. Tom joins a long list of great ABA Chairman I have served with during my 18 years as President and CEO. Our industry has made great strides during his chairmanship," said ABA President/CEO Peter J. Pantuso. "I am pleased Tom will remain on the Board of Directors for another three-year term and will continue to provide advice and counsel to all of us, especially now having the perspective of being the Chairman. The entire industry is grateful to Tom for his unselfish service."