American Bus Association and Industry Honor Leaders with Awards at Marketplace (January 20, 2015)
Several deserving motorcoach, travel and tourism industry leaders were honored at the ABA’s just completed annual Marketplace in St. Louis, January 10-13, 2015. Each year ABA partners with trade media members and other groups to recognize the contributions of individuals and companies who have shown leadership this past year.
- In 2014, ABA and the Bus Industry Safety Council (BISC) created the Norm Littler Memorial Safety Award. It recognizes an individual or organization that has made significant contributions to the profession of safety and demonstrates a commitment and investment in the day-to-day safety of the traveling public by motorcoach. The award is named after the late ABA Vice President for Regulatory Affairs and Executive Director of the Bus Industry Safety Council. The winner was Pete Worthington, the recently retired Vice President of DATTCO Transportation.
- ABA was pleased to partner with The Pohly Company/ABA Media, the ad sales manager and publisher of seven ABA digital and print publications, to present an award. ABA Media’s “Women in Buses” award recognized Elaine Fickett, the President of H & L Charter Company of Rancho Cucamonga, California. Ms. Fickett’s company is a west coast industry standout, and she is active within ABA, serving on its Board of Directors and several state motorcoach associations.
- ABA and Motor Coach Industries (MCI) sponsor the “Green Spirit Award,” which recognized motorcoach companies that have significantly upgraded their overall company when it comes to protecting the environment. In the large motorcoach company category, more than 30 coaches, Sun Diego Charter of National City, California was selected. Northwest Navigator Luxury Coaches of Portland, Oregon won for companies under 30 motorcoaches.
- The BUSRide Magazine Good Stewardship Award was awarded to Michael Colborne; the President/CEO of Pacific Western Transportation Group. BusRide says Mr. Colborne lends a nurturing mind and spirit that helps take motorcoach transportation to higher levels.
- Metro Magazine’s Innovative Operator Award was presented to DC Trails and its ownership led by William and Liliana Torres of Lorton, Virginia. For more than ten years the company has been a leader in the Mid-Atlantic and northeast U.S. in providing a high level of customer service.
- This year ABA welcomed Serendipity Media to Marketplace as an award presenter. It gave its first ever ‘Moxie Award’ to U.S. Tours and its President/Owner, Bob Cline, of Parkersburg, West Virginia. U.S. Tours specializes in custom, self-escorted group tour packages. In 2015, U.S. Tours is creating at least nine customized "theme" tours. Among them is a tour to honor Frank Sinatra, in what would have been his 100th birthday; a “Downton Abbey” tour; and a “Spring Break for Adults” tour to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
“ABA congratulates all of the companies and individuals that were recognized at Marketplace. They are among the best of the best. They are men and women who have dedicated their careers to making sure their customers always have a great time when they do business with them,” said ABA President/CEO Peter Pantuso, CTIS. “We are also very pleased that in addition to MCI, Pohly Media, BusRide, and Metro Magazine, we added a new partner this year to present an award at Marketplace, Serendipity Media. It recognized a tour company that shows innovation and spirit when it comes to group tours. We look forward to having Serendipity Media and all of the other companies with us at ABA’s Marketplace for many years to come.”