ABA has partnered with Motor Coach Industries (MCI) to create a new program for motorcoach drivers to recognize an individual who has gone above and beyond the performance of his or her duties as an Over-The-Road Motorcoach Driver, professionally executing safe motorcoach operation, while providing the traveling public with the safest form of passenger transportation in the United States. This award will be presented during ABA’s 2019 Annual Meeting & Marketplace in Louisville, Ky.
“Motorcoach drivers are the face and backbone of our industry,” said ABA President & CEO Peter Pantuso. “They deliver millions of passengers safely each year to their destinations providing the utmost in customer service. They are truly the representatives of our member companies. People always remember their driver and the experience they had with them on a trip.”
MCI Vice President of Marketing and Product Planning Brent Maitland said driver recognition is long overdue. “There are many critical factors in creating a great experience for the passenger, starting with the quality, design and maintenance of the vehicle they are riding in. But none is more important than the driver. Their passion for safety, equipment care and overall passenger care keeps our industry rolling.”
The award has five benchmarks each nominee will be judged:
- The Nominee must be employed as an over-the-road motorcoach driver by an ABA Member (full- or part-time).
- The Nominee must have a minimum of 10 years cumulative experience driving an over-the-road motorcoach.
- The Nominee must not have any felony convictions.
- The Nominee must not have had any driving violations in the past three years, excluding form and manner violations.
- The Nominee must not have had a chargeable accident for a minimum of 10 years. Non-chargeable incidents or incidental accidents (bumpers, mirrors) do not count against a Nominee.
Nominations with supporting documents must be received to the Bus Industry Safety Council by Sept. 30, 2018. Completed nomination forms can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The motorcoach industry is known for being the safest form of transportation on America’s highways. This is a direct result of our extraordinary drivers,” said Al Smith, chair of ABA’s Bus Industry Safety Council. “BISC takes pride in recognizing the drivers that make this recognition possible and we are delighted to participate in helping to select and recognize one of America’s finest with the ABA Driver of the Year Award.”